Las Vegas! Hot as blazes (by American standards), seedy and cheesy, and crazy hyped all the time, but when the consumer electronics show convention season starts up it’s like they’re the top spot for geeks and electronic nerds. Might as well browse the list of things to look forward to at this year’s CES and get a lead on the next buzz early, because you’ll be hearing about at least some of it soon enough.
Our bets on what will pan out:
- Ultrabooks – Hot! They’re just the next generation of laptops, after all.
- Windows 8 – Let’s see, is Windows still relevant? Yeah, for a while. Hot!
- 4K TV – Snoo-o-o-ore! Look, bigger, bustier TVs are just for rich wanks to show off. Nobody else really cares. We still like our black-and-white model with the knobs and rabbit-ears we got in 1955. Buying a $4000 unit doesn’t make the shows any better.
- 3D – Snore. 3D just isn’t here yet. It’s like the flying car from Blade Runner.
- Ice Cream Sandwich – Hot! Brilliant name, that.
- Digital cameras – Ah, yeah, they’re very nice. Sorta hot, but where else can it go now?
- Video content – Hot, but we agree that industry needs to get off the fence and make it more available. Naive international content barriers don’t help.